Silvana Petrović, PhD
Position: Full professor
Organizational unit: Department of Pharmacognosy
Address: Vojvode Stepe 450, 11221 Beograd, Srbija
Phone: +381 11 3951322
Silvana Petrović graduated at University of Belgrade-Faculty of Pharmacy in 1992 (9.81/10); defended MSc thesis in 1995 and PhD thesis in 1999. Employed at Department of Pharmacognosy since 1992; as assistant professor since 1999, associate professor since 2004, and full professor since 2010. Head of Department of Pharmacognosy from 2007-2019.
Lecturer on IAS of courses Pharmacognosy, Phytotherapy, Analysis of herbal drugs and preparations; on DAS of Selected chapters of Pharmacognosy, Plant isolates: preparation, characterization and potentials of use, and Valorization of ethnomedical use of plants; on SAS-Pharmacotherapy in pharmaceutical practice of Phytotherapy 1 and 2, on SAS-Cosmetology of Plant extracts in cosmetic products; at Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Banja Luka of Pharmacognosy 1 and 2, and Phytotherapy. On DAS of Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade: course Pharmacological activity of secondary plant metabolites. Mentor of seven defended PhD theses and one defended MSc thesis. Mentor of 82 student graduate theses/final works.
In 1997 (seven months) had research stay at Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, Albert-Ludwig University of Freiburg, Germany (DAAD scholarship). Participated (from 1993) in seven scientific projects funded by Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia. She was coordinator of one bilateral project and collaborator on one bilateral project of SANU. Author/co-author of over 280 papers and abstracts, including 89 papers in international journals (SCI indexed) and 23 papersin national journals. Co-author of one registered national patent. Member of Editorial Board of international journal Chemistry & Biodiversity. Reviewed numerous papers in international and national journals.
H-index: 20; excluding self-citations of all co-authors: 19 (Scopus, 29.12.2021).
Research interests: chemical and pharmacological characterization of plants (extracts and essential oils); activity-guided isolation and identification of plant constituents; chemosystematics.
Invited Member of Committee for Marketing Authorisation of Human Medicinal Products at ALIMS. Expert of ALIMS and CALIMS. Held numerous lectures at accredited continuing education courses and professional symposiums.
- Ušjak Lj, Milutinović V M, Đorđić Crnogorac M J, Stanojković T P, Niketić M S, Kukić‐Marković J M, Petrović S D. Barks of three wild Pyrus taxa: phenolic constituents, antioxidant activity, and in vitro and in silico investigations of α‐amylase and α‐glucosidase inhibition. Chemistry & Biodiversity 2021; 18(10): e2100446.
- Milutinović V, Niketić M, Krunić A, Nikolić D, Petković M, Ušjak Lj, Petrović S. Sesquiterpene lactones from the methanol extracts of twenty-eight Hieracium species from the Balkan Peninsula and their chemosystematic significance. Phytochemistry 2018; 154: 19-30.
- Milutinović V, Niketić M, Ušjak Lj, Nikolić D, Krunić A, Zidorn C, Petrović S. Methanol extracts of 28 Hieracium species from the Balkan Peninsula – Comparative LC–MS analysis, chemosystematic evaluation of their flavonoid and phenolic acid profiles and antioxidant potentials. Phytochemical Analysis 2018; 29(1): 30-47.
- Petrović S, Ušjak Lj, Milenković M, Arsenijević J, Drobac M, Drndarević A, Niketić M. Thymus dacicus as a new source of antioxidant and antimicrobial metabolites. Journal of Functional Foods 2017; 28: 114-121.
- Petrović S, Drobac M, Ušjak Lj, Filipović V, Milenković M, Niketić M. Volatiles of roots of wild-growing and cultivated Armoracia macrocarpa and their antimicrobial activity, in comparison to horseradish, A. rusticana. Industrial Crops and Products 2017; 109: 398-403.
- Popović V, Heyerick A, Petrovic S, Van Calenbergh S, Karalić I, Niketić M, Deforce D. Sesquiterpene lactones from the extracts of two Balkan endemic Laserpitium species and their cytotoxic activity. Phytochemistry 2013; 87: 102-111.
- Stojković D, Petrović J, Soković M, Glamočlija J, Kukić-Marković J, Petrović S. In situ antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of naturally occurring caffeic acid, p-coumaric acid and rutin, using food systems. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2013; 93(13): 3205-3208.
- Kukić J, Popović V, Petrović S, Mučaji P, Ćirić A, Stojković D, Soković M. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Cynara cardunculus extracts. Food Chemistry 2008; 107(2): 861-868.
- Rakić S, Petrović S, Kukić J, Jadranin M, Tešević V, Povrenović D, Šiler-Marinković S. Influence of thermal treatment on phenolic compounds and antioxidant properties of Oak acorns from Serbia. Food Chemistry 2007; 104(2): 830-834.
- Đorđević S, Petrović S, Dobrić S, Milenković M, Vučićević D, Žižić S, Kukić J. Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcer and antioxidant activities of Carlina acanthifolia root essential oil. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2007; 109(3): 458-463.