Miron Sopić, PhD
Position: Associate Professor
Organizational unit: Department of Medical Biochemistry
Room: Object A, Room 206
Phone: +381 11 39-51-284
Miron Sopić was born on August 7th, 1982. in Sarajevo. He finished primary and secondary school in Belgrade. He enrolled at the Faculty of Pharmacy in Belgrade, in in 2001, and graduated in 2007 with an average grade of 9.22. He won the award "prof. Dr. Ivan Berkeš" as the best student graduated pharmacist - medical biochemist in the school year 2006/2007. He defended his doctoral thesis entitled "Gene expression of adiponectin receptors AdipoR1 and AdipoR2 and adiponectin levels in the blood of patients with coronary heart disease and patients with chronic renal failure" in 2016.
Since 2007, Miron Sopić has been employed at the Department of Medical Biochemistry, the Faculty of Pharmacy, first as a teaching associate, and then as an assistant. In 2017, Miron Sopić was elected assistant professor for the scientific field of Medical Biochemistry. Miron Sopić is a lecturer at the following courses: Biostatistics, Application of Information Methods in Medical Biochemistry, General Biochemistry, Medical Biochemistry, Laboratory Diagnostics of Disorders in the Pediatric Population within the Integrated Academic Studies - study program Pharmacy-Medical Biochemistry, and General Biochemistry and Integration of Metabolic Processes within the Integrated Academic Studies - study program Pharmacy, and General Biochemistry, Medical Biochemistry, Communication and Presentation Skills within the Doctoral Academic Studies.
Miron Sopić's research work is focused on exploring specific dynamic changes of transcriptome provoked by complex interplay of inflammation and oxidative stress in cardiometabolic diseases, as well as on the discovery and development of new RNA biomarkers. His expertise includes various methods of RNA and DNA extraction and quantification. So far, he has published 26 scientific papers, and his H-index is 8.
Miron Sopić is the President of the Committee of Young Researchers of the Society of Medical Biochemists of Serbia, and the Deputy Coordinator for the CEEPUS network "Novel diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to complex genetic disorders" (CIII-SI-0611-08-1819). From October 2019 to October 2021, Miron Sopić was a Management Committee substitute in the COST Action Committee of CardioRNA (CA17129 - CardioRNA - Catalysing transcriptomics research in cardiovascular disease).
- Munjas J, Sopić M, Stefanović A, Košir R, Ninić A, Joksić I, Antonić T, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V, Prosenc Zmrzljak U. Non-Coding RNAs in Preeclampsia—Molecular Mechanisms and Diagnostic Potential. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2021 Jan;22(19):10652.
- Garratt H, Ashburn R, Sopić M, Nogara A, Caporali A, Mitić T. Long Non-Coding RNA Regulation of Epigenetics in Vascular Cells. Non-coding RNA. 2021 Dec;7(4):62.
- Zanini D, Todorovic N, Korovljev D, Stajer V, Ostojic J, Purac J, Kojic D, Vukasinovic E, Djordjievski S, Sopic M, Guzonjic A. The effects of 6-month hydrogen-rich water intake on molecular and phenotypic biomarkers of aging in older adults aged 70 years and over: A randomized controlled pilot trial. Experimental Gerontology. 2021 Nov 1;155:111574.
- Kotur‐Stevuljević J, Vekić J, Stefanović A, Zeljković A, Ninić A, Ivanišević J, Miljković M, Sopić M, Munjas J, Mihajlović M, Spasić S. Paraoxonase 1 and atherosclerosis‐related diseases. Biofactors. 2020 Mar;46(2):193-205.
- Munjas J, Sopić M, Bogavac-Stanojević N, Kravljača M, Miljković M, Simić-Ogrizović S, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V, Jelić-Ivanović Z. Serum resistin, adenylate cyclase-associated protein 1 gene expression, and carotid intima-media thickness in patients with end-stage renal disease and healthy controls. Cardiorenal medicine. 2020;10(1):51-60.
- Mihajlovic M, Ninic A, Sopic M, Miljkovic M, Stefanovic A, Vekic J, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Zeljkovic D, Trifunovic B, Stjepanovic Z, Zeljkovic A. Association among resistin, adenylate cyclase-associated protein 1 and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients with colorectal cancer: a multi-marker approach, as a hallmark of innovative predictive, preventive, and personalized medicine. EPMA Journal. 2019 Sep;10(3):307-16.
- Jelena M, Sopić M, Joksić I, Zmrzljak UP, Karadžov-Orlić N, Egić A, Miković Ž, Ninić A, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V. Placenta-specific plasma miR518b is a potential biomarker for preeclampsia. Clinical biochemistry. 2020 May 1;79:28-33.
- Joksić J, Sopić M, Spasojević‐Kalimanovska V, Gojković T, Zeljković A, Vekić J, Andjelkovic K, Kalimanovska‐Oštrić D, Jelić‐Ivanović Z. Higher circulating resistin protein and PBMC s resistin mRNA levels are associated with increased prevalence of small dense LDL particles in coronary artery disease patients. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 2016 Jan;43(1):22-8
- Joksić J, Sopic M, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Kalimanovska-Ostric D, Andjelkovic K, Jelic-Ivanovic Z. Circulating resistin protein and mRNA concentrations and clinical severity of coronary artery disease. Biochemia medica. 2015 Jun 15;25(2):242-51.
- Sopić M, Joksić J, Spasojević‐Kalimanovska V, Kalimanovska‐Oštrić D, Anđelković K, Jelić‐Ivanović Z. Are decreased AdipoR1 mRNA levels associated with adiponectin resistance in coronary artery disease patients? Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 2015 Apr;42(4):331-6.